[Tagging] Breezeway (alternative to the tunnel and covered options)

Ed Hillsman ehillsman at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Nov 4 04:04:39 GMT 2009

I spoke about the "tunnel"/"covered" problem to some students here
interested in OSM, and one of them said "Oh, you mean a breezeway".
Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breezeway offers a
description, and two illustrations via external links, that suggest
the term "breezeway" fits a lot of the cases considered in the recent
threads here dealing with "covered" and "tunnel". Breezeways
apparently can be quite large, although it is not clear that they
would really apply to the roadway case with which Randy began the
threads. A search of Google images turns up examples mostly at the
scale of a residence, but also a few quite a bit larger (including
Tolman Hall at the University of California--Berkeley). I would
suggest "breezeway=yes/no" as an additional tag for the stretch of
"highway=*" that traverses a breezeway. The term "breezeway" is
apparently of U.S. origin, but if there is not a British equivalent, I
would suggest that we go with it.

Ed

Edward L. Hillsman, Ph.D.
Senior Research Associate
Center for Urban Transportation Research
University of South Florida
4202 Fowler Ave., CUT100
Tampa, FL  33620-5375
813-974-2977 (tel)