[Tagging] Housenumber interpolation with regularlyskippednumbers

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Oct 13 16:03:13 BST 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM, Mike N. <niceman at att.net> wrote:
> TIGER obfuscates the data by declaring the entire numbering range of a
> zone: for example a "400 block / Even" containing houses 404 through 420
> would be declared as "range Even / 400-498" in TIGER.   For navigation
> purposes, that gets you to within one block of an address.

Maybe they do it for obfuscation, but that has the additional
advantage of being able to locate an approximate address when house
#422 (or #402) gets added to the block.  Of course, we don't have to
be quite as dumb as Tiger.  We could always use three blocks,
400-404/Even, 404-420/Even, and 420-498/Even.

>  I have no problem with the relation that Anthony proposes except that it
> seems unnecessary to introduce a new construct to represent the same idea.

It's not quite the same idea, though.  The Karlsruhe Schema maps
actual addresses, at the house location.  The Tiger Schema (for lack
of a better name) maps potential address ranges, at the street
location.  They both have their uses:  If a house is located far away
from the actual street, you would certainly want to use something like
the Karlsruhe Schema.  If you have no idea where the house is (or is
going to be) located other than its relation to a street, you would
want to use the Tiger Schema.  Arbitrarily sticking a way some
distance to the right or left of a highway, in order to coax
street-level data into a house-level schema, would be inappropriate.
And that's just the easy case, when you're not trying to combine data
from both schemas on the same block (I'm not sure that any of these
have been mapped yet, but imagine a rural area with lots of houses
near the road, some houses far off the road in flag lots with long
driveways, and some houses both on and off the road in various stages
of development and not yet assigned addresses; or try to combine
actual addresses and potential addresses on a road in a retail area
with lots of strip malls with individually addressed stores; or a road
with lots of apartment complexes/condos with individually addressed
apartments/condos).

> Now imagine if they were asked to check
> the address relation: "Go into edit mode, check the way the arrows point on
> your street, inspect the left / right roles to be sure that the house
> numbering is correct".

For clarification, the direction for the purposes of right/left would
be determined by the start and end node, not the direction of the way.
 The way could be reversed without breaking anything (and not all the
ways have to even go the same direction).