[Tagging] tagging the multipolygon model (was landuse and military)

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Thu Oct 15 14:36:42 BST 2009

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> well, even in the case lake inside a forest I'm not sure, if the
> forest stops where there is the lake. Probably you can consider the
> lake also part of the forest (when it's small), or to give a different
> example: elementary school inside a residential area. Usually those
> would be considered to be part of the residential area.

I disagree. A school site with it's buildings, playgrounds, sports
fields etc can add up to a big area.
Someone may want to do some calculations  based on these areas. They
should be as accurate as possible.
I'm in the process of editing the existing residential areas in my town
to go around these. It certainly makes a difference.

>> Maybe if we just define/explain/(do our best not to create same key
>> incompatibility, juste like this boundary=military propose to replace the
>> ambiguous landuse=military for some cases)
>> Same for natural, then what we've left ?
>>
> amenity? Finally almost all tags can become areas.
>

>> A lake inside a forest, is not a forest
>>
> sure?

Yes

>> A cimetary inside a residential is not a residential
>>
> +1

Then how can you include schools?

Cheers
Dave F.