[Tagging] tagging the multipolygon model (was landuse and military)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 16:30:34 BST 2009

2009/10/15 Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com>:
> Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> well, even in the case lake inside a forest I'm not sure, if the
>> forest stops where there is the lake. Probably you can consider the
>> lake also part of the forest (when it's small), or to give a different
>> example: elementary school inside a residential area. Usually those
>> would be considered to be part of the residential area.
>>
> I disagree. A school site with it's buildings, playgrounds, sports
> fields etc can add up to a big area.
> Someone may want to do some calculations  based on these areas. They
> should be as accurate as possible.
> I'm in the process of editing the existing residential areas in my town
> to go around these. It certainly makes a difference.
> Then how can you include schools?

well, elementary schools belong to a residential area as well as a
(not to big) convenience store that serves mostly this area or a pub.
At least to "general residential areas" according to German law
(BauNVO, WA = allgemeines Wohngebiet = general residential area). On
the other hand, they would just exceptionally be allowed in "pure
residential areas" (reines Wohngebiet, WR).

For the lake in the forest: do you agree that someone would say: the
lake (pond) is in the forest? Like a way in the forest, which doesn't
have trees growing on it, but still is in the forest. It is not
excluded.

cheers,
Martin