[Tagging] tagging the multipolygon model (was landuse and military)
benlaenen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 17:35:02 BST 2009
> The problem with the landuse tag is it's being used for multiple
> things. On one hand, it's being used to describe what the land is
> being used for - if people are using the land as their residence, the
> land is tagged landuse=residential. On the other hand, it's being
> used to describe what sorts of things are present on the land - if
> there are lots of trees, it's being tagged landuse=forest.
+1 as I've said this myself on the orchard proposal talk page.
There it was a discussion about whether a orchard isn't actually a farm as
The only way I see we can solve all this is to get a new tag which is
exclusively used for ground cover. Such a tag would then stop having all
ambiguity, and stop all discussions like "is a lake in a wood part of the wood
But it's not the easiest option of course and has practical problems:
* so what will we do with the current tags?
* and how could renderers still be able to make sense of all of it to render
* it probably needs professional input to get a good list of all different
kinds of ground cover
* it's moving into the realm of micromapping: you may need good quality aerial
imagery, and probably a good knowledge of all ground covers as well
* so not exactly as easy for a mapper as just putting "landuse=farm" on a big
More information about the Tagging