[Tagging] tagging the multipolygon model (was landuse and military)

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 14:40:27 BST 2009

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Ben Laenen <benlaenen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Residential isn't exclusive at all. Not to say that what it's actually used
> for in OSM can have different meanings amongst different mappers. You'll find
> many parks in OSM for example inside a residential polygon.

park is "leisure", not "landuse"

> I've never seen
> holes in a landuse=residential polygon at locations where shops are.

Excepted if you use landuse=retail (of course, not to be used for
individual/small shops in the middle of a residence)

> By far
> most uses I've seen for landuse=residential are for areas which are generally
> used for where people live, and usually have entire villages or cities inside
> one polygon. That's not ground cover, that's telling what the area is used
> for.

This is because the work is not complete. This is the easy first step
and later, contributors will fine tune the landuse polygones and
identify retail or industries areas later.

> Proper ground cover would have no such thing as a "residential area". It would
> have tags for "building" (and subtags for what kind of building it is), or
> "garden".

"garden" like "park" already exists as "leisure", not landuse.

> I'm not saying that current landuse=residential/industrial/... doesn't have
> any merit. It's quite nice to make maps for big areas. But at the level where
> you start to show individual buildings only proper ground cover can be used.
> Either the landuse=residential/industrial/... kind of tags have to move out of
> the landuse key, or we have to come up with something new.

Then you just need to draw small landuse polygons. Why recreate the wheel ?

Pieren