[Tagging] Names localization

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 11:36:26 BST 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Alexander Sidorov <alexidsa at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Is there any way to implement the following localization strategy:
> 1. display russian (russian is just for example) name if it exists
> 2. display english name if russian name doesn't exists
> 3. display local name otherwise
>
> The problem for me is to determine which language is used for some region
> by default. I have found this discussion<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Language_of_this_element>but without solution.
>
> Regards,
> Alexander

The proposed feature is clearly not a solution since it is suggesting to add
the same tag "language=xxx" in ALL named elements within the region. I think
the right approach would be to set this default language in the polygon
identifying the region, most probably in the administrative boundary
relation. Then you could build up a query to apply this default value in
your local gis db. (or deprecate the tag name and force the locale suffix).

Pieren