[Tagging] How To Tag Coastlines That Are Also Cliffs?

Zeke Farwell ezekielf at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 19:24:54 BST 2010

Hi,

I'm newly subscribed to the tagging list so I apologize if this has been
discussed before.  Didn't find it in the archives though.  I'm working on
an area of coastline made up of cliffs and
beaches<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.94817&lon=-122.065787&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF>.
  There are many sections where the cliffs drop directly into the ocean and
it seems logical to me that the coastline and the cliff should be
represented as one single way where this is the case.

On the archived natural=cliff proposal discussion
page<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dcliff/Archive/Proposal>
found a reference to putting both values in the natural key separated by a
semicolon (natural=coastline;cliff).  I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere
else though.  I tried it and upon rendering the cliff did not show up in
Mapnik.  I couldn't test how Mapnik would handle the coastline since that is
only updated every few weeks, but I don't want to risk breaking the
coastline by adding the cliff value in there.  Has anyone seen or used this
combination in practice?  Does it mess up the coastline rendering?

Another thought I had was using a collection relation
(proposal<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Collected_Ways>)
both for the coastline and the cliff.  Ways where the two coincide would be
members of both relations and would inherit both values.

I imagine neither one of these methods is going to be rendered fully in
Mapnik yet.  That's fine.  I just don't want to break the basic coastline
rendering.  I know it's touchy and can make the slippy map look like hell
when it goes wrong.

Zeke

--
Zeke Farwell