[Tagging] Shoulder and traffic indicator tags

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Aug 3 14:33:41 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Daniel Tremblay <tremblad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is a 90km/h primary road safe bikeable?

I know people who would be willing to ride a bicycle on a 55 mph
primary road with no shoulder and one lane in each direction (not that
I can think of such a road, other than maybe a few short bridges).
Add in a second traffic lane, and I wouldn't even call them nutty.

Anyway, I still support cycleway=shoulder.  Add in shoulder=paved as
well if you want.

As for cycleway=sharrow...I don't know.  It's definitely redundant as
it's equivalent to any road without bicycle=no; bicycles share the
road with motor vehicles.  OTOH, it's useful information, a router
could prefer roads with sharrows to roads without them all other
things being equal.  I'd say include the sharrow information
somewhere, but not under the cycleway tag.