[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Extra details for postboxes

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Aug 5 17:03:25 BST 2010

vclaw wrote:
> I have created a proposal for tagging extra details of postboxes.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extend_post_box
>
> It includes tags for the type of postbox, number of apertures, royal
> cypher, type of mail accepted, opening hours, and indoor.

The post_box:type seems to mix up completely different things. Most of
the values are about the anchor of the post box - whether it's mounted
to a wall, a lamp etc. But then there's also the "meter" type, which
seems to be about something entirely different: the type of mail that
the box is for.

I suggest a more generic approach for the mounting/anchor information -
a key like this could be used for lots of different features, such as
post boxes, clocks, waste bins or vending machines.

Specifically, I suggest to use the "support" key that has originally
been defined for clocks:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dclock#Support

Tobias Knerr