[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Extra details for postboxes

vclaw vclaw22 at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 5 17:52:30 BST 2010

On 05/08/2010 17:03, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> vclaw wrote:
>> I have created a proposal for tagging extra details of postboxes.
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extend_post_box
>>
>> It includes tags for the type of postbox, number of apertures, royal
>> cypher, type of mail accepted, opening hours, and indoor.
>
> The post_box:type seems to mix up completely different things. Most of
> the values are about the anchor of the post box - whether it's mounted
> to a wall, a lamp etc. But then there's also the "meter" type, which
> seems to be about something entirely different: the type of mail that
> the box is for.

In the UK, meter mail boxes are usually a different physical type -
larger than a standard pillar box, and square. And the aperture is
larger, and is lockable. See this photo for example (the left 2 boxes):
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Inverness_Longman_postboxes_meter.JPG
So I think its a different physical type than a standard "pillar" box,
and worth tagging as such. Maybe there's a better name for it, I'm not
sure, but I think it is usually just known as a meter box.

> I suggest a more generic approach for the mounting/anchor information -
> a key like this could be used for lots of different features, such as
> post boxes, clocks, waste bins or vending machines.
>
> Specifically, I suggest to use the "support" key that has originally
> been defined for clocks:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dclock#Support

Maybe, but I think these postbox are usually known as pillar/lamp/wall
etc, so best to use the common names.