[Tagging] other landuse values?

Vincent Pottier vpottier at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 17:32:36 BST 2010

On 15/08/2010 17:54, John Smith wrote:
> On 16 August 2010 01:43, Cartinus<cartinus at xs4all.nl>  wrote:
>
>> With landuse=mixed you basically know nothing, except that there should be
>> multiple values. You don't even know if it is a build-up area as there are
>> enough landuse values that deal with the countryside.
>>
> +1 I don't think landuse=mixed is very useful.
>
> While you could tag multiple uses semi-colon seperated, or even using
> relations, I doubt that would help much more since it would end up a
> blob of mixed colours, that is if all permitations are rendered.
>
> It might be best to tag the overall area only with the major type of
> landuse, and then tag individual buildings as
> building=commercial/retail/industrial as an exception, and if you want
> to go to the micro mapping level this is where tagging
> shop/office/amenity would be useful...

During the preparation of the big import of CLC [1], we have got the two
codes 1.1.1 (Continuous urban fabric) and 1.1.2 (Discontinuous urban
fabric). We have mixed them on the same tag landuse=residential.
But perhaps we could have something more accurate for city centers that
would be near Continuous urban.
That could mean there are apartments shops, garages, banks... But
without detail (with landuse when there is a shop at the first floor and
appartments upon it)
This tag would be very used in the French city centre, and maybe we
could create a tool on osmose [2] to help changing tags.
Why not a landuse=city_centre (according to the English spelling) if it
fits many situation throughout the world ?

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Corine_Land_Cover
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Corine_Land_Cover/Tagging_scheme
* A discontinuous urban area in Besançon :
* A continuous urban area in Besançon :
[2] http://osmose.openstreetmap.fr/map/cgi-bin/index.py
--
FrViPofm