[Tagging] other landuse values?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 17:54:38 BST 2010

2010/8/15 Vincent Pottier <vpottier at gmail.com>:
> During the preparation of the big import of CLC [1], we have got the two
> codes 1.1.1 (Continuous urban fabric) and 1.1.2 (Discontinuous urban
> fabric). We have mixed them on the same tag landuse=residential.

didn't you use a subtag for continuous/discontinuous? Could have been helpful.

> But perhaps we could have something more accurate for city centers that
> would be near Continuous urban.

IMHO not all continuous urban fabrics are centres, or I don't get the
meaning of this term according to my unsufficient English.

> Why not a landuse=city_centre (according to the English spelling) if it fits
> many situation throughout the world ?

it is fitting for all historic European cities and might fit in other
parts of the world as well.

There is still some problem with it: there are mixed landuses in
different parts of the city and some of them are very dense (usually
the historic centre(s)), others are less dense (might be subcentres or
too small/ not dense enough to form any kind of centre). And it is
exclusive (not combinable with current landuses, but there might be
specific landuses like purely residential or even industrial in the
centre as well).

If you like a taq like this, you could just as well use
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/centre_zone
which avoids "city" because centres occur in villages and other
settlements as well.

Still I think that an attribute to assign additionally to the landuse
would be a better approach than using an exclusive landuse term for
this.

If we can find some consensus here how to tag centres I would change
the proposal to fit.

What do you think about centre_type (quoting from the proposal):
centre_type=sub_centre - use this for local centres, that are not
considered main centre of the whole city/town/village. Probably exists
only in bigger cities.
centre_type=main_centre - use this for the main centre, in big cities
there could be several main centres, while in villages and smaller
cities I wouldn't expect more than one main centre

cheers,
Martin