[Tagging] turn restrictions, multiple time intervals

Sebastian Klein bastikln at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 17 14:51:10 BST 2010

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2010/8/17 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
>> You were the one complaining about amenity=school being widely used so
>> we should sub-tag it, I don't think we should do any of the above for
>> similar reasons, leave the restriction stuff alone and dump
>> dates/times into their own key pair.
>>
>> restriction=no_right_turn
>> restriction:hours=Mo-Fr 06:00-09:00,15:00-18:00
>

> -1, I don't think tagging dancing schools as normal schools and then
> subtagging the dancing part is in any way related to conditional
> restrictions or that those cases are comparable in some way.
>
> If a restriction is valid only for some time, I would like to see this
> in one tag and not in 2 for several reasons:
> - allows for multiple conditional restrictions (e.g. one restriction
> for night-time, one for daytime, etc.)
> - is IMHO more transparent for the reader
> - is analogous to other conditions (if the proposal, that AFAIK is
> already in use) is approved
> - is simpler

Some relevant wiki pages here:
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extended_conditions_for_access_tags>
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Composite_Tag>
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Time_restricted_tags>
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Properties_for_Tags>
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Access_restrictions>

I don't really like the Extended_conditions_for_access_tags proposal for
reasons mentioned in the above sites and their talk pages. Basically it
violates (or gives up) the principle that keys are simple atomic
identifiers that you can query without regexes and the like.

For the really complicated cases I could imagine a combination of
Composite_Tag and Time_restricted_tags feature.

Sebastian