[Tagging] Tagging for streets with sharrows?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 05:14:49 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Any arguments against cycleway=sharrow?
>
> Yes, a cycleway should be mainly/exclusively for bicycles.

Hmm, I guess we're interpreting "cycleway=x" differently.

You: "This is a cycleway, mainly/exclusively for bicycles. More
specifically, it is a cycleway of type x."
Me: "Regardless of what this is, as far as cycleways go, it has an 'x'
kind of cycleway."

That is, just as you can have "cycleway=track" (100% dedicated
cycleway) and "cycleway=no" (0% dedicated cycleway), I think you can
have all the points in the middle. A sharrow is not "a cycleway", but
might be 20% a cycleway, so "cycleway=sharrow" is a good way of
tagging it, IMHO.

Anyone agree?

Steve