[Tagging] Tagging for streets with sharrows?

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Wed Aug 18 23:51:13 BST 2010

  On 18/08/2010 05:33, Alan Millar wrote:
>> Any arguments against cycleway=sharrow?
>> That is, just as you can have "cycleway=track" (100% dedicated
>> cycleway) and "cycleway=no" (0% dedicated cycleway), I think you can
>> have all the points in the middle. A sharrow is not "a cycleway", but
>> might be 20% a cycleway, so "cycleway=sharrow" is a good way of
>> tagging it, IMHO.
>>
>> Anyone agree?
> I agree.  The "highway" tag always designates the primary usage.

I absolutely disagree with that statement.

The highway tag is used to define the *classification* of a way, not the
"primary" usage, whatever that means.

For instance, in the UK you could have highway=trunk. Motorized
vehicles, bicycles & pedestrians are all allowed to use that way. Even
though cars maybe the majority users, they *all* have equal rights to
use it.

Cheers
Dave F.