[Tagging] [OSM-talk] collection/street relation: which one to use?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Thu Aug 19 15:10:07 BST 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
>>
>> Of course they have a relation.  However, the relation is like the one
>> between HSBC and its ATMs.  It is an exclusive relation - an address
>> only refers to one streeet.
>>

> Please stop using this example of HSBC, it does not apply here.

I believe that was the first time I used it.

> A relation between a house number and it's street is not a category. If you don't
> understand that, we cannot help you.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Anyway, Ulf asked for our opinions.  I gave mine.  If you have a
different opinion, I'd ask you to express it, not blabber on about how
you disagree with mine.

> And even if you add the add:street, nothing says in which town.

Do you know of any houses which are in a different town from the
street in their street address?

> And what happens if the name is not exactly the same ?

Then there's an error that needs to be fixed.

> That's why some contributors prefer the relation.

Right problem, wrong solution.