[Tagging] Tagging individual properties?

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 20:33:01 BST 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Tyler Gunn <tyler at egunn.com> wrote:

> I'm curious, what would be the best way to tag the boundaries of
> individual properties?  Or SHOULD I even attempt this?
> The Cadestral data for Manitoba is available from the Manitoba Lands
> Initiative under a free for use license, so I was thinking of incorporating
> this data.
>
> I've converted a bit of the data, opting to merge all the lots into larger
> blocks to indicate the landuse of residential, park, etc.  It's kinda nice
> because it also gives you a guide for aligning the roads; they should
> typically be in between the landuse areas.

I've been mapping individual properties locally, and the finest I've
gone in (suburban) residential areas has been each subdivision as a
multipolygon. Any finer than that seems pointless.

On the other hand, separating each individual commercial or industrial
property (where owned by different companies) probably makes sense.