[Tagging] Ways rendered on wrong layer (counter to the layer tag values)

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 12:20:49 BST 2010

I'm not sure when to use the bridge tag. In this part of the map
http://c.tile.openstreetmap.org/17/120570/78686.png there is a footway
which is at ground level at both ends, but significantly above the
water below in the middle, held up by pylons. I tagged it with
bridge=yes, layer=1. Then there is the motorway (in blue) which is
above the footway bridge, it is tagged layer=2, but not as a bridge.
But the renderer puts the layer=2 below the layer=1. I was assuming
this is because the motorway has not been tagged with bridge=yes. How
can I get the footway to render below the motorway? Or should I just
tag that part of the motorway as bridge=yes too.

Any help is appreciated.