[Tagging] How to tag an unsigned bike lane?

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sun Aug 22 14:30:32 BST 2010

On 22/08/2010 14:24, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Pieren<pieren3 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Nathan Edgars II<neroute2 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Since there's been no response, I've begun using cycleway=unmarked_lane.
>>
>> What do you mean by "unmarket" ? if they have spaces striped, is that for
>> cyclists ? you should put some lines on a wiki page or a note directly on
>> the elements explaining what you try to describe. The tag itself is not very
>> explainatory.
>
> I explained it in the original post - it's designed and striped just
> like a bike lane, but has no signs or markings on the road officially
> calling it a bike lane.

What would anyone using the map do different knowing this information?

Is there any basis for believing they have a different status?

In the UK we have two kinds of cycle lane, "mandatory" and "advisory",
where mandatory is marked with a solid line and means motorists must
keep out of it, and advisory means nothing legal at all except an
indication for motorists to give cyclists room. Is this perhaps the same
distinction here? If so is there some mileage in following the same
conventions?

David