[Tagging] How to tag an unsigned bike lane?

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 14:57:48 BST 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 9:30 AM, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
> What would anyone using the map do different knowing this information?
>
> Is there any basis for believing they have a different status?
Yes: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.2065.html
"Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal
speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then
existing shall ride in the lane marked for bicycle use..."

cycleway=lane means you have to ride in the lane (except under certain
conditions which police are probably not familiar with). If a way is
tagged cycle_hazard=door_zone (or otherwise has a poorly-designed bike
lane), you might want to avoid the street altogether if it's
cycleway=lane, but if it's cycleway=unmarked_lane you have a better
chance of convincing a random cop that you're legally allowed to avoid
the hazard.

For an example of a map that distinguishes between the two cases, see
http://www.metroplanorlando.com/site/plans/maps.asp ("undesignated
bicycle lane" vs. "designated bicycle lane").

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I explained it in the original post - it's designed and striped just
>> like a bike lane, but has no signs or markings on the road officially
>> calling it a bike lane.
>>
> Okay, I though that a strip could also be considered as a "mark". Would
> "unsigned_lane" be less ambiguous ?

Bike lanes can be marked with either a sign or paint on the roadway;
unsigned can be interpreted to mean that there are no signs but there
may be paint.