[Tagging] How to tag an unsigned bike lane?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 01:05:15 BST 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Around here there are a few roads that have spaces striped as if they
> were bike lanes, but they're not actually marked as such, so they
> don't fall under the mandatory bike lane law ("shall ride in the lane
> marked for bicycle use"). But those cyclists who like bike lanes will
> see them as a good thing, and will want them tagged as such. So how
> should they be tagged? (This isn't the same as the shoulder issue,
> where some cyclists like using a lane designed for another use; these
> are clearly designed as bike lanes, just not marked.)

Are they for parking? One council in my area explicitly considers some
on-street parking strips as de facto bike lanes.

I like the idea of tagging them. It would also be worth making an
attempt to fit the different kinds of infrastructure into some sort of
ranking, so that different renderers/routers/whatever can treat them
consistently. eg:

--Best--
highway=cycleway
cycleway=track
cycleway=lane / cycleway=opposite_lane
[shoulder proposal in here?]
cycleway=unsigned_lane
cycleway=shared_lane (or sharrow or whatever gets decided)
none
--worst--

Steve