[Tagging] Another classification needed for minor urban/suburban collectors?

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Mon Aug 23 09:41:16 BST 2010

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Nathan Edgars II wrote:

> I'm going to use this area of Orlando as an example:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.51724&lon=-81.43253&zoom=15&layers=M
>
> I designated only the major through highways as primary, and major
> suburban highways as secondary. Yet there are still two tiers of roads
> remaining:
> *1. Major interconnections, mostly four-lane: McLeod, Bruton/Vineland,
> Raleigh/Columbia, Metrowest
> *2. Local collectors that serve as main neighborhood streets:
> Aaron/Kirkland, Willie Mays/Kozart, King Cole
>
> Making the former secondary would seemingly overload the map with
> secondaries. But as it is, there are two distinct classes of road
> marked as tertiary, and it's not always clear which connect between
> neighborhoods and which serve as main roads inside neighborhoods.
> Bumping the latter down to residential would also lose information:
> these are more than your typical residential street, and are intended
> to collect and distribute neighborhood traffic.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions other than starting the long process
> to make a new "collector" classification for the latter? Am I using
> too few primaries and secondaries?

I can not say since I don't know the area, but you might want to look at
what I did with Salt Lake City, UT (http://osm.org/go/T0F@NPC).  I wrote a
dialog of my choices at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Kevina/Salt_Lake_City_Highway_Classification.

If you help me to find the roads mentioned I might be able to give you a
little better advice.

Also how are you identifying the function of the roads.  Is it just local
knowledge? Or are you using some official documents?