[Tagging] ele-key for lakes / water bodies and glaciers

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 19:52:44 BST 2010

How do you use the key ele for water covered areas like lakes?
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ele

I think I would use it to tag the height of the ground (solid) part,
and not the water surface, because this is what I would expect a
terrain model would display.

On the other hand for glaciers and other permafrost areas it might be
easier (and the expected thing) to tag the surface of the ice and not
the ground below.

Anyone with experience here? I think we should add some precision to
the wiki definition.

cheers,
Martin