[Tagging] ele-key for lakes / water bodies and glaciers

Tue Aug 24 00:24:57 BST 2010

At 2010-08-23 11:52, =?UTF-8?Q?M=E2=88=A1rtin_Koppenhoefer?= wrote:
>How do you use the key ele for water covered areas like lakes?
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ele
>
>I think I would use it to tag the height of the ground (solid) part,
>and not the water surface, because this is what I would expect a
>terrain model would display.

I would expect the opposite - the elevation of the water surface above "sea
level". It appears that Google Earth does it this way (e.g. Lake Arrowhead
~ 34.258476, -117.182861). depth=* should then be used to tag the depth of
the floor below the water surface.