[Tagging] ele-key for lakes / water bodies and glaciers

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 19:08:21 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:04:09PM +1000, Liz wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Elena of Valhalla wrote:
> > but is the bottom of such lakes a flat surface with a constant
> > elevation? if it isn't, such a value wouldn't be meaningful as well
> on some it is
> eg Lake Cargelligo is almost flat at the bottom - I've seen it empty
> and others are obviously not

Land not covered in water can be flat too :)

For tagging lakes and other bodies of water with ele=* I would go with
the elevation of the land (i.e. the bottom) the same meaning ele key has
when the land is not covered in water.  If people want to tag water
levels (even if they would probably be better as external data sets)
then use different keys.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall