[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Tagging Scheme Recommendations: highway=path, footway, trail?

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Thu Aug 26 21:23:39 BST 2010

Snowmobiles are generally about one meter or so wide (the rider sits astride them, as on a motorcycle), can't be used on a surface that isn't covered with snow or ice, and don't technically require a trail.  However, many areas discourage or forbid off-trail usage because of damage to vegetation, and the risk that someone going cross-country on unfamiliar territory may encounter drop-offs, stumps hidden by snowdrifts, or other hazards.