[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Culvert and average contributor

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Fri Aug 27 13:58:35 BST 2010

  On 27/08/2010 13:42, Pieren wrote:
> Again, I'm not a native english speaker but It seems that "culvert" is
> also used to designate a bridge. Some quick searches on internet:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Culvert_2_%28PSF%29.png
> http://www.rommesmo.com/steeltruss.htm
>
> or tunnels:
> http://www.battlefieldsww2.50megs.com/culvert.htm

I'd say, from a British-English perspective, that in each of these the
thing called the culvert is the thing below the bridge.  Obviously
language and usage changes greatly with time and place (also, the car in
the first link looks like a Chrysler Airflow from the 30s and may not
reflect current usage).  The second is an excellent example of a
"culverted stream", over which a bridge happens to run - the company
concerned sells "Beam Bridges, Truss Bridges, Steel and Aluminum Box
Culverts." (i.e. they separate bridges and culverts as products).  The
third example is also clearly referring to the thing below the bridge ("
the Culvert could be used by jeeps if some air was let out of the tires").**

My (English) 2p...