[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Culvert and average contributor

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Fri Aug 27 13:58:35 BST 2010

  On 27/08/2010 13:42, Pieren wrote:
> Again, I'm not a native english speaker but It seems that "culvert" is 
> also used to designate a bridge. Some quick searches on internet:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Culvert_2_%28PSF%29.png
> http://www.rommesmo.com/steeltruss.htm
> or tunnels:
> http://www.battlefieldsww2.50megs.com/culvert.htm
I'd say, from a British-English perspective, that in each of these the 
thing called the culvert is the thing below the bridge.  Obviously 
language and usage changes greatly with time and place (also, the car in 
the first link looks like a Chrysler Airflow from the 30s and may not 
reflect current usage).  The second is an excellent example of a 
"culverted stream", over which a bridge happens to run - the company 
concerned sells "Beam Bridges, Truss Bridges, Steel and Aluminum Box 
Culverts." (i.e. they separate bridges and culverts as products).  The 
third example is also clearly referring to the thing below the bridge (" 
the Culvert could be used by jeeps if some air was let out of the tires").**

My (English) 2p...

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20100827/b004edeb/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list