[Tagging] Charity tagging

Sean Horgan sean.horgan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 02:26:34 GMT 2010

Good discussion.

I'm not sure I follow you WRT non-commercial/state run.  Social facility
doesn't imply non-commercial, there are plenty of private organizations that
deliver social services.  In the case of a social facility run by the state,
I would consider this an act of charity: the giving of help to those in
need.  In this case, the state is a proxy through which the residents
provide the services/goods.

I definitely agree that social_facility doesn't exactly roll off the tongue,
especially in the context of charity.  There is little likelihood that an
average user would type "social facility" into a search box when looking for
a charity. As much as I'd like to consolidate related entities into the same
tagging scheme, I know that it can't be forced.

Is there a way to mark tags as equivalent, e.g. social_facility=shop <=>
charity=shop, or more broadly social_facility <=> charity?

I like your thinking on supplier=donation but I think it falls into same
bucket of social_facility=shop: nice for the taxonomy but not the average
user.  I prefer a simple donation=yes approach.

Sean