[Tagging] self-storage facilities

Ed Hillsman ehillsman at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Dec 11 21:53:25 GMT 2010

Is there a recommended way to tag self-storage facilities? The closest
I've been able to find is the tag landuse=garages (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/tag:landuse%3Dgarages
) but the wiki discussion is of car storage, and the discussion of the
proposal for that tag seems to indicate that it was intended to tag
extensive garage areas in residential areas. In the US, we have
similar structures, but they typically are located in commercial or
retail areas; are owned and operated by private firms charging rent
for space; and are probably used more for storing household
furnishings, clothing, and other items than they are for storing cars.
Access to the individual storage units is typically through a locked
gate. These facilities occupy a substantial amount of territory in
some suburban areas. I'm willing to draft a proposal if there isn't
already a way to tag these, and if someone can advise me on the
British English term for these facilities. I agree with a number of
the comments on the landuse=garages proposal that landuse= is probably
not the right category for this kind of service, but shop= doesn't
seem right either.

Thanks.

Ed HIllsman