[Tagging] self-storage facilities

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 13:03:59 GMT 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Ed Hillsman <ehillsman at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 10:04:11 +1100, Steve Bennett
> <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I think "storage" and "self-storage" imply different things. The
>>former would be warehousing etc for business customers, and the latter
>>for the general public.
>>
>>That said, I'd be inclined to go with amenity=storage for both, with
>>some subtag like self_storage=yes where appropriate. We should have
>>less top-level tags.
>
> I had been inclined to avoid amenity= because of the volume of past comments
> on other proposals, concerned about the number of "amenity" values. But
> amenity=storage makes sense. Because so many self-storage facilities are
> businesses, owned by different companies, landuse= is less appropriate.
> Amenity=storage would lie within landuse=commercial or, in some instances
> landuse=industrial, with operator= or name= for the firm, and
> self_storage=yes. Internal driveways, parking, buildings, and external
> fences and gates could be mapped if desired.

I agree with most of what's been said- I'm fine with either
amenity=storage or amenity=self-storage, so long as with the former
there's a subtag.

I'd also suggest that since self-storage is usually commercial, we
encourage the standard set of tags for businesses, including name (or
operator), hours, website, etc.)

- Serge