[Tagging] Proposal - Draft: key=osm for aerial imagery and internel objects

Werner Hoch werner.ho at gmx.de
Thu Dec 16 08:13:14 GMT 2010

Hi Serge,

On Mittwoch, 15. Dezember 2010, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Werner Hoch <werner.ho at gmx.de> wrote:
> > I've created a proposal for imagery objects and other objects that
> > are only used internaly in osm.
> >  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/osm
> >
> > Aerial Imagery:
> > ---------------------------
> > With the new Bing images many new relations have been created that
> > contain boundaries of hires images. I think it would be cool to
> > have a uniq tagging for such objects.
> > Examples without unified tagging:
> >  http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1291579
> >  http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/396170
>
> These are features of Bing, not of the earth. They belong with the
> Bing dataset, or else another dataset which collects metadata about
> imagery, but I don't think it belongs in OSM.

The data is already in the osm database. I'm just proposing to add uniq
tags to make it easier to work with them. Robert Naylor postet a the
link to the bing coverage with lots of ways/areas of hires bing maps.

I've no opinion whether the data should be in the database or not.

> > Worksets, Experimental Tagging, ...
> > Sometimes mappers are creating objects with experimental tagging or
> > collections of objects for personal use.
>
> They can do that on a dev server.
>
> > Mappers that do QA work sometimes delete or change that objects.
>
> They shouldn't be doing QA work on the production dataset.

QA work is only required in the production dataset. Nobody cares of the
data in the dev server.

> > These messages can only be read by human mappers, not by bots. To
> > make it easier for the QA mapper, the bots and the mappers that
> > are working on new things it would be nice to have a uniq tagging
> > for such objects. The proposed tags are:
> >  osm=experimental; osm=test; osm=temporary; osm=workset
> >
> > Comments and additional ideas are welcome.
>
> We have a mechanism for people to experiment with; that's the dev
> server.

Yes, but some users are adding experimental/new stuff to the osm
database.
I've just proposed to add tags to make it obvious. In the proposal, I
wrote too, that the mappers are responsible to delete the stuff as soon
as it's no longer needed.

> If you're saying that's not sufficient, I'd like to hear why and what
> we can/should be providing to aid mappers's experimentation without
> effecting our production dataset.

Sorry, I don't know how to tell _all_ mappers to use the dev server for
experiments.

If you like to avoid test/experimental/new stuff in the production
database, you have to restrict the commits to known/official tags.

Regards
Werner