[Tagging] Deprecated features - highway=disused

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 20 23:46:10 GMT 2010

As the concept of "disused" could apply to millions of different things,
I would prefer to see a more generic system which could be applied
uniformly. I would like to see the "life_cycle" tag resurrected
(proposed in 2008) something like this:
     life_cycle=planned (only exists on paper)
     life_cycle=construction (under construction)
     life_cycle=open (default, open for business)
     life_cycle=disused (but could easily be re-opened)
     life_cycle=abandoned (could not easily be re-opened)
     life_cycle=temp_closed (e.g. during road works)
     life_cycle=temporary (only in existance for a short time, e.g.
during road works)

A generic method of tagging a generic concept feels much better than the
variety of ways described in
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Comparison_of_life_cycle_concepts .

This was proposed in 2008 (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_Features/Status) but was
rejected after a tied vote 15-15. Most of the objections centred around
backward compatibility problems. If it's the right thing to do, sure
it's going to cause a little pain in the short term, but the problems
will only get bigger if the nettle is not grasped.

Colin