[Tagging] Proposed definition for cycleways (was Re: bicycle=no)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 02:51:04 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:14 AM, Nop <ekkehart at gmx.de> wrote:

> According to these hints, cyclists will tag even more minor roads,

I did say "and cannot be used by cars." but I probably should have made that
more clear. A road is never a cycleway.

> pedestrian ways

If it's a pedestrian way which is "especially suitable for cycling", then
that's a good thing. If it's a short path between two buildings or
something, I wouldn't call that "especially suitable for cycling".

> and agricultural tracks

Again, if vehicles are allowed, it would never be a cycleway. Sorry for the
confusion.

And to reiterate, I haven't specified what the minimum standard would be
exactly. If you're concerned that there would be "too many" cycleways mapped
in your area, then I think the standard *in your area* should be raised. It
is not important that a single piece of tarmac be mapped the same way in
every country. The important bit is to point out useful information to
cyclists - and labelling every single pedestrian path as a cycleway would
clearly be wrong.

Steve