[Tagging] Proposed definition for cycleways (was Re: bicycle=no)

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 03:01:29 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> If it's a short path between two buildings or
> something, I wouldn't call that "especially suitable for cycling".

Others might. There is a lot of fuzzy area here. This is a problem.
It's called unverifiability.

> And to reiterate, I haven't specified what the minimum standard would be
> exactly.

Please do. I expect you may find it difficult, but I'm hoping to be surprised :)

> ... It
> is not important that a single piece of tarmac be mapped the same way in
> every country.

This mindset leads to the situation we currently have - people using
the same tag for multiple overlapping purposes. If you want
fragmentation of the OSM database according to country, then this is
not something I agree with.