[Tagging] Proposed definition for cycleways

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 05:31:12 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> The primary purpose of OSM is to create useful maps, not to provide some
>> kind of look-up service for the real world.
>>

> Isn't that what a map is?  Some kind of look-up service for the real
> world?

There is a layer of interpretation in the middle, that's the crucial
difference. The interpretation that distinguishes between two very similar
chunks of asphalt, decides one is a road, and one is a driveway and doesn't
need mapping. The interpretation that distinguishes between a bunch of
extremely similar patches of grass, and maps them as parks, nature reserves,
brownfields, greenfields, back gardens, median strips, sports pitches,
recreation grounds, and so forth.

Some people on these lists think that we should just store random facts at a
very fine-grained level, and that some future renderers and routers will
magically be able to make sense of the mess. I believe that the people best
equipped to make sense of the facts are those entering them into the
database, reducing the burden on present and future software developers.

Steve