[Tagging] Proposed definition for cycleways

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 12:13:29 GMT 2010

2010/1/5 Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>

> Well, I*M*HO, it's close to perfect. If you (well, a reasonable person with
> some common sense when it comes to bike paths - not something Roy would
> admit to :)) looked through a map, and every time you saw something mapped
> as a bike path, it corresponded to something you thought of as a bike path -
> that would be perfect.

maybe you missed NOP's contribution in one of the parallel threads, so
again: your point of view is bike-focused, so you think every way or path
suitable for cycling should be tagged a cycleway. That was the way things
were done in the beginning (some years ago), but it led to some problems why
in densely mapped areas people began to reflect about it and decided to use
some "neutral" and objective criteria: legal designation.

That's for the database side. Still on the consumer side (e.g. rendered
maps) you could make this bike-focused map (without contaminating the data)
simply by rendering everything suitable for cycling just the same as a legal
cycleway.

cheers,
Martin