[Tagging] Proposed definition for cycleways

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 03:34:49 GMT 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... There are lots of shared use paths, and lots
> of unlabelled paths. I basically want the shared use paths to be tagged as
> cycleways (because that's the function they serve), and *some* of the
> unlabelled paths to be tagged as cycleways.

Shared path (signed with pedestrian/bicycle symbol): highway=path +
foot=designated + bicycle=designated.
Unlabelled paths, if you insist: highway=path +
bicycle:much_more_suitable_than_average=yes (+ foot=* where
applicable)

> Trouble is, current usage (and renderer support) treats "highway=path" very
> differently from "highway=footway". It seems to mean "walking track with
> unmade surface".

Re: current usage: not true. See e.g.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dpath/Examples
Re: current renderer style sheets: Please file a bug (if there isn't
one filed already) for the particular style sheet you are referring
to, if you think the rendering isn't appropriate given the
descriptions in wiki.