[Tagging] Proposed definition for cycleways (was Re: bicycle=no)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 12:26:10 GMT 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is an old page because designation and default access is an old
> topic and there is no "black and white" answer. In some countries,
> when you tag a cycleway, it is obviously not allowed for pedestrians
> and contributors do not want to be forced to add a foot=no because in
> some other countries it is "obviously" allowed. It's like asking the
> whole world to add a bicycle=no with highway=motorway because it is
> allowed in some US motorways.

But isn't the point of the table to allow an Australian to tag
"highway=cycleway" and to mean something different from when a German does
it? And the point is that the makers of renderers and routers can use this
table? Presumably we should provide it in XML format or something to make
this easier.

Or is this the dream, but it's actually not used? What am I missing?

> It would be very helpful to see an Australian entry in this page, of
> course.

Done.

Steve