[Tagging] Using relations to group highways

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Wed Jan 6 23:49:22 GMT 2010

John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> writes:

> 2010/1/7 Matthias Julius <lists at julius-net.net>:
>> John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> As for the shields this is deviating from the topic at hand but for it
>>> the shield can be derived from the lookup table on the wiki and then
>>> extra preprossesing in osm2pgsql to assign a shield based on admin
>>> polygons + info from the lookup table
>>
>> Does osm2pgsql have that capability already?
>
> No, I'm trying to code up a proof of concept at present to parse the
> wiki page and then after osm2pgsql runs, find any roads not tagged
> with a shield and then add the shield information by using the road
> information + polygon information.
>
> So far I have been able to parse the wiki page, but I'm still working
> on improving the lookup table the information is stored in so that
> things happen as quickly as possible.

You want to parse the wiki page from within osm2pgsql?  I am not so sure
that's a good idea.  I think it should read that information from a
local file (which can be updated from the wiki by an independent tool).

Also, it would be nice if the mechanism is general enough that it can be
used elsewhere where the appearance of a way or node should depend on an
area it intersects or is within, like roads under buildings.

Matthias