[Tagging] Proposed definition for cycleways

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Jan 7 10:39:03 GMT 2010

Hi,

I would be happy it I could get an instant yes or no answer to two questions:
Can I walk along this thing?
Can I cycle along this thing?

I would love to see just yes or no alternatives, not anything like
yes/no/designated/official. I know there may be a need to have a few hundred
additional tags for detailed classification but I am prepared to make more
questions to get more information after the first course sorting.  "Fine, I can
cycle here. Is it even designated for it? How is the surface like?"

I tried once to make an universal query for finding cycleable ways/paths but
concluded that it is impossible. I managed to get this far:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Consolidation_footway_cycleway_path#selecting_all_cycleways_.28sql.29