[Tagging] Proposed definition for cycleways

Peteris Krisjanis pecisk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 11:29:04 GMT 2010

Just a side note, I think different rules for each country for
footways can't be mapped exactly (some countries allow bikes on
footways by default, some don't. What happens when country rules
changes?). I personally would leave it to parsers/routers. Yes, maybe
it's moves OSM just a little bit away to be strightfully useful map,
but trying to fit current situation into tags won't help. There should
be some basics we can agree on and then move on details.

So I agree with colegues from Germany - highway = cycleway for
officially marked cycle ways and bicycle=yes for footways with cycle
allowance mark. Routers depending on the rules of the country must
asume that you can use footway with cycle or not.

Cheers,
Peter.

2010/1/7 Jukka Rahkonen <jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi>:
> Hi,
>
> I would be happy it I could get an instant yes or no answer to two questions:
> Can I walk along this thing?
> Can I cycle along this thing?
>
> I would love to see just yes or no alternatives, not anything like
> yes/no/designated/official. I know there may be a need to have a few hundred
> additional tags for detailed classification but I am prepared to make more
> questions to get more information after the first course sorting.  "Fine, I can
> cycle here. Is it even designated for it? How is the surface like?"
>
> I tried once to make an universal query for finding cycleable ways/paths but
> concluded that it is impossible. I managed to get this far:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Consolidation_footway_cycleway_path#selecting_all_cycleways_.28sql.29

mortigi tempo
Pēteris Krišjānis