[Tagging] Proposed definition for cycleways (was Re: bicycle=no)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 15:17:28 GMT 2010

2010/1/8 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com>

> So the 22,000 highway=cycleway in the UK all need to be changed.
> Unfortunately, UK mappers don't seem to agree with this.

well, I'm pretty sure if you'd start today you would have changed them
within some weeks, but still "mainly" designed could be interpreted for some
of those 22,000 cycleways as well, couldn't it?

On the other hand Germany alone has 4 times the cycleways in OSM and does
require distinction between formal cycleways and other ways where cycles
might be allowed as well but are not considered cycleways. Haven't looked up
the numbers for France, Italy, the Netherlands and so on, but I agree with
you: the best will be to find a workaround for yesterdays mistakes.

cheers,
Martin