[Tagging] Dutch cafes (was: What's a power=station?)

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 14:27:56 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Ben Laenen <benlaenen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe the English speaking world should start joining the rest of the world
> which have to learn definitions of each tag anyway. So OSM may have awkward
> tags for English speaking persons, but if we really have to try to resolve all
> tags that would look strange in some language (e.g. amenity=cafe is not what
> we call a "café" in Dutch) then the only option would be to use index numbers
> (amenity=135...) (*).

Well, I would say it is part of what we call a "café". The problem is
more that Dutch uses the same word for what in OSM are three terms:
bar, cafe and pub. And moreover, the same place often having the
function of all three. To me, it's not the usage of the word "cafe" in
OSM that is strange, but the distinction that is made between the
various drinking establishments.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com