[Tagging] Dutch cafes (was: What's a power=station?)

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 14:48:26 GMT 2010

2010/1/19 Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com>

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Ben Laenen <benlaenen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe the English speaking world should start joining the rest of the
> world
> > which have to learn definitions of each tag anyway. So OSM may have
> awkward
> > tags for English speaking persons, but if we really have to try to
> resolve all
> > tags that would look strange in some language (e.g. amenity=cafe is not
> what
> > we call a "café" in Dutch) then the only option would be to use index
> numbers
> > (amenity=135...) (*).
>
> Well, I would say it is part of what we call a "café". The problem is
> more that Dutch uses the same word for what in OSM are three terms:
> bar, cafe and pub. And moreover, the same place often having the
> function of all three. To me, it's not the usage of the word "cafe" in
> OSM that is strange, but the distinction that is made between the
> various drinking establishments.

A "café" has a different meaning in different countries. Depending on where
you are originating from, you are likely to have a surprise, especially if
you are an English speaker and you are going to France.
Again, it is a case of sticking to the definition used on the wiki, even if
it doesn't sound logical based on the usage of the word in your language.

Emilie Laffray