[Tagging] Dutch cafes (was: What's a power=station?)

Randy rwtnospam-newsgp at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 20:37:45 GMT 2010

David Earl wrote:

>On 19/01/2010 17:23, Randy wrote:
>>As something that has a common "look & feel" around the world, so we've
>got a shorthand for a common experience, what would people call
>Starbucks premises in their own languages, and what would you translate
>that into English as?
>
>In the UK, my inclination would be say "café" though there are others
>who would no doubt disagree.
>
>FWIW the OED defines café (with acute accent) as: "A coffee-house, a
>restaurant; strictly a French term, but in the late 19th c. introduced
>into the English-speaking countries for the name of a class of
>restaurant." Which isn't very helpful. American Heritage dictionary says
>"A coffeehouse, restaurant, or bar", no more so.
>
>David

The more I look at the wiki page for amenity=cafe, the more I seem to be
adjusting to it. When the cuisine modifier is added, it seems to work for
me. The one thing I might question in the wiki is listing a donut shop as
a cafe. I don't really object to it, but consider it more of a toss up
between cafe and bakery. Even though there may be tables and chairs, and
coffee served, they are generally used more for take out than on-premises
consumption.

I think I missed tagged the local Krispy Kreme, but that's easy to fix
since they're closing it.

--
Randy