[Tagging] Dutch cafes (was: What's a power=station?)

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Wed Jan 20 08:44:51 GMT 2010

2010/1/19 David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com>:
> On 19/01/2010 17:42, John F. Eldredge wrote:
>> beverages
>
> interestingly, not a word you would often find used in British English.
> Generally "drinks" often means alcoholic beverages, though sometimes any
> depending on context, with "soft drinks" and "hot drinks".
>
>> pub
>
> I'd have thought this is a largely British/Irish phenomenon, yes?
> Most "pubs" elsewhere in the world are attempts at emulating or mocking
> British/Irish pubs, and nearly everywhere else has bars (and we do too,
> as well as pubs). The "micro breweries" found in parts of the US come
> pretty close to the British concept of pub, though no doubt some would
> want to make the distinction of beer being brewed on the premises (not
> unknown though in British pubs, though rare - I can think of two, one in
> Bury St Edmunds and one in Hampshire).
>
> But the British pub concept has changed in recent years too as more and
> more become restaurants, where the drinks are subsidiary to food.
>
>> I am to divide these into "cafe",
>> "pub" and "bar", based on whether they sell drinks and snacks or light
>> food...
>
> Not really. I think it's what the operator calls it that counts, not
> your subjective judgement. The difficulty in France and Netherlands is
> that the word cafe seems to better correspond to the English usage for
> bar not cafe, but if there was agreement that this is indeed the case,
> we could solve it objectively by rote not by judgement.

In my book its easy.

Cafe - Place to buy and consume light snacks and NON-Alcoholic Drinks
(Tea, Coffee, Coke etc) on site. Usually Unlicensed.

Pub - Place to buy and consume Alcoholic Drinks on site, (may also
retail Non-Alcoholic Drinks, Snacks and sometimes Food)

Bar - Place to buy Alcoholic Drinks within a large establishment,
maybe with a hotel, or holiday complex, may share its seating with
other vendors.

The line is weather it sells Beer, or other Alcoholic Beverages,

Peter.