[Tagging] Race track

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 23:40:37 GMT 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

>> Is there really no tag needed to indicate to renderers that the width
>> of the way is indicated by the multi-polygon rather than the way
>> (centerline)?
>
> No, not for the renderer, they only render what is tagged, not what is
> not tagged.

I'm not sure I understand. What I mean is, if the database contains a
way with highway=raceway, *as well as* a multi-polygon (MP) with
highway=raceway, how would a renderer know not to try to render *two
different raceways*? Is it their responsibility to check whether the
way is *within* the MP area, and then infer that it describes the
*same* raceway...?

I think it would be prudent to explicitly state this relationship
between the way (giving centerline) and the MP (giving area)...with a
relation. I think we could use [1], with type=area, role=center (for
the centerline way) and role=area (for the MP).

> Post a link when you've completed it; I'd like to see the results.

Will do.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Area