[Tagging] Zone 30 (maxspeed)

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 7 07:26:16 BST 2010

  On 06/07/2010 21:02, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Am 06.07.2010 20:38, schrieb Colin Smale:
>> On 06/07/2010 18:44, Richard Mann wrote:
>>> I'm not really clear what is the value of tagging a "zone", except in
>>> a note. Why not just use the standard maxspeed tag?
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Here in NL it warns you that the given road sign (could be maxspeed,
>> could be some other restriction) is valid "until further notice" i.e.
>> until you leave the Zone. Without the Zone indication the restrictions
>> lose their official validity at the next junction, which leads to speed
>> limits etc. having to be repeated very frequently. So it is really only
>> a shorthand notation to save money on signs and to reduce the clutter of
>> street furniture. The default speed limit in built-up areas is 50kph so
>> that actually rarely needs to be signed at all. But to make an area
>> limited to 20kph means it has to be signed explicitly.
>>
>> It sure would make life easier if you could just draw a (temporary)
>> polygon and get Potlatch to set maxspeed=20 on all enclosed roads
>> though...
>
> Well, no. Two different things here:
>
> a) What's the actual maxspeed value
> b) What's the cause of the actual maxspeed value
>
> Wether b) needs to be tagged or not is a matter of personal opinion -
> further discussions on this are therefore pretty much pointless ...
>
> It was a long and hard discussion on talk-de that b shouldn't be
> replacing a altogether - I'm personally very glad that this concensus
> was made.
>
> If someone want's to specially tag b), I don't see a reason not let
> him do it that way. I'm not doing it but it won't harm anyone and will
> save us from ongoing discussions if we want to tag the actual value OR
> the inherent cause of it (sign, zone, ...).

Despite your opening sentence we agree. I was trying to make clear that
there is nothing special about the actual max speed in a "30 Zone", only
the way it is signed on the ground is different (for reasons I
explained). So IMHO all ways should have their maxspeed indicated
individually in the traditional way, and if someone wants to draw a
polygon to indicate the limits of the zone, well, OSM won't stop them.
The polygon I was talking about was only a simple way of selecting a
whole bunch of streets in one go with the intention of making a simple
edit (e.g. add maxspeed=30) to all of them as I can see the manual
one-by-one method getting rather tedious. As John Smith mentioned, there
appears to be some support in JOSM for this.

Colin