[Tagging] RFC on two proposals: Motorway indication; Expressway indication

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 22:29:05 BST 2010

On 16 July 2010 04:55, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> Strong oppose to motorway_indication.  First of all, it's confusing.
> Secondly, it encourages people to tag roads which are not motorways as
> highway=motorway and motorway=no.  Thirdly, there is no definition given for
> what a motorway is.

I was going to say I was confused why this is even needed, I'm
familiar with a couple of the roads listed, US33/SR161 in Columbus,
OH, but I just concluded the answered myself, in Australia we use
highway=motorway for a specific set of conditions (dual carriage ways
with limited access via on/off ramps etc) regardless of the ref=*, but
I'm guessing some people perceive the need to distinguish
interstate/non-interstate roads but instead of tagging roads based on
the type of road they're twisting themselves into knots coming up with
all kinds of additional tagging instead.

Personally I don't see the need, if it's motorway/interstate type
road, tag it as a motorway, if you need to render this slightly
differently, use the ref information to render as needed.